Jackson- Moss Farm
Billy Moss Jackson
Theodore Moss Jackson

 In 1862, John Washington Moss established a farm in White House. By 1884, it totaled 107.5 acres. John W. and his wife, Lucinda Shannon Moss, had three children, John B., William and Mary Ella. They raised sheep, chickens, corn, oats and wheat. 

Son William became the second owner of the farm in 1902. He and his wife, Belle Jernigan Moss, had one child, Erline. During this generation’s ownership, the family raised tobacco, chickens and hogs. William Moss was a member of the Dark Tobacco Growers Association.

            Erline Moss and husband Walter Luell Jackson acquired the farm in 1934. Along with their son, Theodore Moss Jackson, they raised tobacco, chickens and milk cows and were under contract with the Pet Milk Company.

            In 1977, Theodore Moss Jackson received the farm. At this time, the entire 107.5 acres of the original farm remained intact. He and his wife, Margaret Ann Roaden Jackson, and their son, Billy Moss Jackson, raised hay and cows. Theodore also began a poultry business in 1954. 

During this time, the farm also incorporated another 82 acres of the Corder Farm established in 1893, which previously was the property of Mary Ella Moss and husband F. H. Corder. Corder was a farmer as well as a justice of the peace, rural-mail carrier and is associated with beginnings of the first bank in White House. 

            Theodore and Billy Jackson are the current owners of the farm, where four generations of the family reside, including Theodore, and Billy, as well as Billy’ son, Cory, and his two children. They work 96 acres of the original farm and raise registered Hereford cattle and hay. 

Photo: The Corder House built during the 1890s.


Jackson-Winfield Farm
Billy Moss Jackson
Theodore Moss Jackson


 In 1834, Gains Winfield founded a farm with his wife, Martha Shannon Winfield. Gains purchased various amounts of land until 1859 when his farm totaled 236 acres. With his wife and five children, he raised corn, wheat, sheep and cows. He and one of his sons, William S. Winfield, built the family house prior to the Civil War. They were both blacksmiths and gunsmiths. 

During war times, the farm was plundered because its location on the L & N Pike. His son, William, served as a captain in the 14th Tennessee Infantry and was a prisoner of war. During the time Gains owned the farm, he gave one acre for Horseshoe Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a schoolhouse and Pale Face Hall. 

            The second-generation owner of the farm was one of the daughters of Fains and Martha, Susan Jane Winfield, and her husband, William M. Jackson. In 1873, Gains sold 140 acres to William and also gifted 80 acres to Susan. On their 220 acres, they and their five children raised tobacco, wheat and sheep.

            In 1916, the third owner of the farm acquired the farm. William and Susan’s son, John W. Jackson received 80 acres from his parents. With his wife, Willie Wright Jackson, and their three children, Ester, Walter and John, they raised tobacco. In addition to farming, John was also a carpenter.

In 1918, Walter and his wife, Earline Moss Jackson, received 64 acres. Along with their son, Theodore Moss Jackson, the couple raised tobacco, chickens and milk cows. They also contracted with Pet Milk Company.

            The current owners of the Jackson-Winfield Farm are Theodore Moss Jackson and his son, Billy Moss Jackson. Today, they raise hay and registered Hereford cattle on 54 acres of the original 236-acre farm owned by Gains Winfield.

Photo: This is the pre-Civil War House on the farm built by Gains and Williams Stubblefield.